Recipe by Kaarin
Sweet and creamy cooked dressing on a beautiful old fashioned salad. From a 1960 cookbook "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking". I usually peel the apples and omit the nuts.
- 2 cups apples, diced
- 2 cups beets, cooked and diced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For dressing, combine egg with sugar and beat well.
- Stir in flour and mustard.
- Add mixture to heated water and vinegar in a small heavy saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until thick, 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the 4 salad ingredients.
- Pour the cooled dressing over and mix well.
- Garnish with parsley and chopped nuts, as desired.
- Serve chilled.