Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Serve by itself or over noodles or rice.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb flank steak, sliced into thin strips
- 1 lb small mushroom, sliced (button, shitake or mix)
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a small bowl whisk together the 3/4 cup beef broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, pepper and optional salt; SET ASIDE.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil until hot. Add the flank steak and crushed garlic cloves; saute until almost cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes; remove and set aside.
- To the hot empty skillet/wok, add the mushrooms, cabbage, sliced onion, and 2 tablespoons beef broth. Cook and stir until tender-crisp, about 4-6 minutes.
- Pour the set aside soysauce mixture into the skillet with the veggie mixture and cook; stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the set aside beef and heat through.
I made this recipe for my Japanese daughter in law who is an excellent Japanese cook. I really like the simplicity of the recipe and she liked it so well that she asked ME for the recipe! Only change I made was the broth. I had no beef broth so I substituted vegetable broth. Will make this again! Thanks
Love the ginger and garlic in this recipe. I could not find my ground ginger so I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh. This really does make a lot, I think you could feed 8 people with this. I spaced it off and did not make any rice but this sure would have been great on some hot rice. Oh yes, this was my first time using flank steak, it was nice and tender. Parsley, thank you for posting this great recipe. Can't wait to make it again. Made for *Magic Mushrooms Tag 2008* game from the Asian Cooking Forum
Awesome recipe! This made quite a bit (for 3 people) but it all disappeared. I added way more ginger and garlic and it was fantastic. I will definitely make this again. Thanks!