Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my version of my great-Grandmother's Greek meat pie recipe. (I don't think that she would mind me adding some additional flavors!) I like to make it as a baked large pie with eggs to bind the filling, but originally the pies were deep-fried pinwheels. Time does not include browning the meat, cooking the rice, or preparing the pie crust. Note: Perfect Oil Pastry is a great oil pastry recipe!
- 1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 small diced onions, cooked with the ground beef or 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 double crust pie crust (oil)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, except for the pie crust, of course! (An oil pastry does work best--or phyllo can be used instead.).
- Put the bottom crust in a 10" pie pan, fill with the beef and rice mixture, and top with the top crust, crimping the edge.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top crust is golden.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then serve!