Recipe by Gay Gilmore
I never thought I liked liver and onions until I learned how to make this in my Cooking Class.
Top Review by Spammers
I HATE LIVER!!! But... this was delicious! The wine sauce was fabulous and mixed with the liver and onions was spectacular. You might want to double the sauce because you'll want extra for your potatoes or pasta. Also, I had fried up the liver in bacon fat instead of the butter and oil. YUM! I may be eating liver just a wee bit more nowadays!! Thanks...
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb beef liver
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter
- oil, to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in bag.
- Slice the liver into 1/2 inch strips and shake in bag of seasonings to coat.
- Set aside.
- Heat skillet with 2-3 tablespoons of butter and a dash of oil.
- Saute the onions on medium heat until tender and glossy.
- Transfer to side dish and sprinkle with sage, salt and pepper.
- Return skillet to high heat, add 3-4 tablespoons butter and dash of oil.
- Add liver and sear 5 minutes until brown.
- Inside meat should be slightly pink.
- Return onions to pan til heated.
- Remove liver and onions from pan and plate.
- Use stock and wine to deglaze pan and reduce liquid til you have a thickened sauce.
- Pour over liver and onions, sprinkle with parsley and serve.