Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
I have been making this soup for years. I normally use green lentils but use your preference. This is an excellent recipe for diabetics.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game and yummo! I did add some garlic and beef bouillon cubes but otherwise followed the instructions. Definately a keeper. Thank you for such a tasty recipe.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (optional)
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, brown ground beef and drain fat.
- Add water,lentils, cabbage,carrots, celery,onion, green pepper, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Add salt and bouillon cubes if using.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Add spinach and heat through. Remove bay leaf.