Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have been making this soup for years. I normally use green lentils but use your preference. This is an excellent recipe for diabetics.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (optional)
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- In a large pot, brown ground beef and drain fat.
- Add water,lentils, cabbage,carrots, celery,onion, green pepper, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Add salt and bouillon cubes if using.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Add spinach and heat through. Remove bay leaf.
Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game and yummo! I did add some garlic and beef bouillon cubes but otherwise followed the instructions. Definately a keeper. Thank you for such a tasty recipe.
Yummy! I added a lot more water cause it was thick a lot and it's still thick. I'm glad I added water. I used beef bouillon cubes to give it more taste. I used green lentils, 2 1/2 cup cabbage, baby carrots, a red bell pepper. And at the end, I decided to omit the spinach cause it was too thick already. I love it like that. Thanks Lorrie. Made for Holiday tag
I used leftover roast beef & 1 cup of soup dried beans (had them in house). As stated by a previous reviewer this soup has a lot of flavour. I plan on making this again. Thank you Lorrie Montreal!