Crock Pot Beef Lentil Soup
photo by DrGaellon
- Ready In:
- 9hrs 15mins
- 2 lbs soup bones with meat
- 3 carrots, peeled &, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled &, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled &, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups water
- 6 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
- 1⁄2 lb lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- In slow cooker (4-1/2 quarts or larger) combine all ingredients except cabbage.
- Cover& cook on low 8 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Remove beef from bones, shred and and return to pot.
- Add shredded cabbage, turn pot to high setting, and cook 30 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious! I never use bouillon, so I used 2 cans of beef broth and one of chicken broth. Since the beef broth was not low-sodium, I skipped the added salt. I added a couple of bay leaves and a bit of dried thyme. I also left out the cabbage, since I didn't think it needed the extra bulk. It was really delicious! This is a keeper! Made for My Three Chefs Fall 2009.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Can't believe I've been a member here for 18 years! It's changed a lot since the old RecipeZaar days and maybe or maybe not for the better. It used to be a community and now it's just a tool. Sad, but life goes on. I have been in Kentucky for 12 years now and enjoy the country lifestyle, along with master gardening. Recipes I've found here since Day One are still in my rotation. Don't entertain that much anymore, so finding new and exciting foods is no longer center stage. Just glad to have so many good recipes to fall back on because eating out is expensive and sometimes too far to drive.