1/1 Photo of Beef Filets With Cognac-Mushroom & Onion Sauce
1 hr 26 mins
I love these, I make them from memory - here is my attempt at writing this down and giving you quantities.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (6 -8 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks or 2 (6 -8 ounce) filet of beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup cognac or 1/2 cup red wine or 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh parsley, garnish (optional)
- 1Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 2Brown filets in 1 tablespoon hot oil in an ovenproof or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes on each side.
- 3Remove filets, reserving drippings in skillet.
- 4Melt 2 teablespoons butter in drippings over medium-high heat.
- 5Add yellow and red onion rings, and saute 5 minutes.
- 6Add green onions, shallots, mushrooms and garlic.(If more oil is needed add remaining tablespoon), saute 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 7Stir in cognac and broth; cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until liquid evaporates(about 5 minutes).
- 8Place filets on top of onion mixture in skillet.
- 9Cover with aluminum foil.
- 10Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until thermometer inserted in thickest portion of meat register 135F(medium rare).
- 11Remove filets from skillet, reserving onion mixture in skillet, cover filets loosely, and let stand at room temperature 10 minute.
- 12Cook onion mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly; 5 min or until liquid evaporates.
- 13Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- 14Serve with filets.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Filets With Cognac-Mushroom & Onion Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 839.5
- Calories from Fat 596
- Total Fat 66.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 151.3 mg
- Sodium 770.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 37.5 g