Recipe by Quaffle
My favorite chicken taco meat recipe that I got from a coworker. I usually serve these with flour tortillas, cheddar cheese, and some guacamole. Great for a get together, as you can cook before hand and have people assemble their own. I also love to snack on this cold. Can easily be scaled up or down depending on how many people you are serving.
Top Review by Tess #2
Just the recipe I have been looking for. I made it just as written except I skipped adding the salsa. I wanted the filling not to have a tomato base since I will be serving with pineapple/avocado salsa. I looked a long time to find a recipe that didn't involve tomatoes or one that could be altered a bit. This one is great. Thanks for posting.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, quartered
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 jalapeno, halfed
- 2 -4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) jar salsa, your favorite
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken in a large dutch oven or pot.
- Add sliced onion, quartered garlic, peppercorns, and jalepeno.
- Add enough cups of water to cover by about 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Take chicken out and set aside.
- Strain cooking liquid, saving water, but throwing away aromatics.
- Shred chicken.
- Put oil in saucepan and saute onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, salsa, cilantro, and chicken broth to cover. Cook down an hour and a half until most liquid is gone.
- Season with salt if needed.