Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I combined ideas from several other recipes found on recipezaar for this roast. We serve with pumpernickel bread, dumplings and sauerkraut.
- 5 lbs pork loin
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1⁄3 cup Dijon mustard
- garlic salt
- Layer the onions and apples in the bottom of a shallow roasting pan.
- (I use a large casserole dish) Drizzle two tablespoons of the honey along with 1 teaspoon of the caraway seeds on top of the layer of apple and onion.
- Mix together apple butter, remaining honey and dijon mustard and reserve.
- Sprinkle the entire roast with garlic salt and place on the apples and onions.
- Spread Apple butter mixture on top of the roast and sprikle with the remaining teaspoon of caraway.
- Cover and bake at 350 for approx.
- 3 hours or until internal temp of the pork is 160.
Loved this so much! I am very glad that I found this recipe. I only had a 3.5 pound loin, so my time was about 2 hours (thank goodness for probe thermometers!), but I didn't cut back on anything else. I was rewarded with lots of yummy soft onion and apple just on the good side of mush, and a lot of the yummy sauce/paste. The flavors were perfectly balanced, and the aroma while it was baking was heavenly. I did use a metal 9"X13" pan and made a "cover" out of aluminum foil loosely tented in the middle and tightly crimped on the edges. Thank you so much for such a keeper of a recipe!
Excellent! My husband is not a fan of pork, but couldn't get enough of this dish. He can't wait until I make it again. I loved it too.
This was so good! I did it just as suggested by the recipe, except with the Dijon mustard, I used half smooth and half whole grain. I'll definitely make this again!