Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Start this special breakfast by making the cherry sauce, then the cream topping and lastly the waffles. You may use sweet or sour cherries for the sauce, it's good either way. I hope that you will enjoy this tasty recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, white
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup golden syrup
- 1 2⁄3 lbs fresh cherries, pitted
- 2 teaspoons lime rind
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1⁄8 cup sour cream, thick
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar, white
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, shake well
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 6 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 bananas, ripe, diced
- 1 cup wild fresh blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil, for waffle iron
- Cherry Sauce: Using a large pot combine sugar, almond extract, water and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Next reduce the heat to a simmer and add the lime rind and cherries and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes longer.
- If you want a thicker sauce add 1 1/2 tsps of cornstarch and 3 tsps of water to a mug, whisk well to remove lumps.
- Add to hot cherry sauce bringing to a boil, cook until desired thickness is achieved.
- Cream Topping: In a large bowl whip sour cream and mascarpone cheese until a soft peak forms then gently mix into the whipped cream.
- Place covered in fridge until needed.
- Waffles: Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the buttermilk, 2% milk, mascarpone cheese and egg yolks.
- Next gently whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into the waffle batter then add the blueberries and diced bananas.
- Brush hot waffle iron lightly with vegetable oil and pour batter into each waffle mold.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions until golden (3 minutes).
- Place waffles in low oven in 1 layer to stay crisp.
- When ready to assemble, place waffle or waffles on plate, place a generous amount of topping in center of waffles and pour desired amount of cherry sauce over top and ENJOY.
NOW THESE ARE OUTSTANDING WAFFLES & THE TOPPINGS ARE JUST GREAT! Just two of us managed to devour these beauties, & another time I want to share them with some special company! I do, however, have to work out making the cherry sauce with canned or frozen cherries & the waffles with frozen blueberries 'cause I definitely want to make these throughout the year! WONDERFUL IN THE EXTREME, & it goes without saying that THIS RECIPE IS A KEEPER, FOR SURE! [Made & reviewed as a recipe napped tag in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #20]
I made this recipe exactly as written with no deviations. I love waffles and recently purchased a waffle iron. This recipe christened my toy! The cherry sauce is to die for! The cream sauce was very good and my husband loved it, but the star of this show was by far the waffles. Very crisp on the outside, airy and tender on the inside. Fabulous flavor and the aroma is wonderful.