Recipe by sprout 13
Good comfort food for lacto-vegetarians or any tofu lovers. Tofu is baked to firm and crisp it and then it is smothered in a slightly tangy mushroom-onion gravy. This makes a generous amount of gravy so that it can go over potatoes roasted while the tofu cooks.
Top Review by frankieblackeye
Like others i added a garlic, i didn't have any yogurt so i used sour cream and it was still really tasty! I also added a little bit of vegetarian worcestershire sauce. Thanks for the recipe I will be using it often!
- 15 ounces soft silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 large white onions or 1⁄2 large yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 6 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- dried thyme
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Dry the tofu and cut it into 4 thick slices.
- Coat the tofu thinly with oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme to taste.
- Lay the tofu slices on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray and place in oven. Bake for 35 minutes, flipping pieces after 20 minutes.
- While the tofu cooks, melt the butter in a medium skillet on medium-low heat. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the melted butter until softened, about 10 minutes. Do not brown the vegetables.
- About 5 minutes before the tofu finishes, add the flour to the mushrooms and onions and continue to cook on medium-low for another minute or two.
- Add the milk and yogurt to the sauteed mixture and bring to a simmer. You may need to raise the heat to medium.
- Once the gravy simmers, remove from the heat and season to taste with salt, pepper, and thyme. Spoon over baked tofu.
- Serve with a hot veggie like green beans or broccoli and with cubed potatoes roasted in the oven while the tofu baked.