Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is a different way to serve boring old brown rice. The nutritious grain is jazzed up with spinach, fresh mushrooms, feta cheese, garlic, and dill. Try this as a unique side dish for fish or chicken, or as a vegetarian main dish. Recipe is from Light and Tasty.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- Saute onion, mushrooms, and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in rice, spinach, lemon juice, salt, dill, and pepper.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon cheese and stir remaining cheese into skillet; mix well.
- Transfer to sprayed 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes; uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
DH really loved this rice. I used more mushrooms, less salt, and fresh spinach/dill. It had great flavor. I did have to put it in a lasagna pan though, it wouldn't have fit in an 8x8. Served three as the main side.
Love, loved it!!!! What a great side to just about anything!
I served this with Lemon Chicken Souvlaki and they went well together. After I decided to make this I realized that I had no spinach! So I threw in some finely chopped broccoli instead. I'm sure the spinach will be better but it made do. I also was in a hurry and didn't have rice already cooked up. I added it a little undercooked with some water and let it finish cooking in the oven. I liked how brown rice just seems to make the dish. Sorta like adding wild rice to a pilaf.