Recipe by A Messy Cook
Here is a different way to serve boring old brown rice. The nutritious grain is jazzed up with spinach, fresh mushrooms, feta cheese, garlic, and dill. Try this as a unique side dish for fish or chicken, or as a vegetarian main dish. Recipe is from Light and Tasty.
Top Review by mommyluvs2cook
I really need to make this again when I don't have so many distractions at home. I got an unexpected phone call that put me into doing some work while the rice was cooking and it kind of got over done, then I had to put everything away halfway through and start the recipe back up the next evening. Anyway, I loved the flavor, I just wasn't a fan of the rice texture I achieved. Will make again when I can give it my full attention :) 5 stars for now though!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, mushrooms, and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in rice, spinach, lemon juice, salt, dill, and pepper.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon cheese and stir remaining cheese into skillet; mix well.
- Transfer to sprayed 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes; uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.