Recipe by Theresa/ Thunderbird
This resipe uses baked potatoes
Top Review by HokiesMom
Great recipe for a quick soup on a cold night. I micro-cooked the 3 large potatoes first and then used one mashed up and the other two cut into thick chunks for the soup. Topped with crispy bacon and some shredded cheddar cheese and we had a filling meal for our family with a bit leftover for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for sharing a great method to have a flavorful soup in a short amount of time.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 -3 baking potatoes, baked or microwaved
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk.
- Scoop potato pulp from one potato; mash.
- Add pulp to broth mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally,until mixture just comes to a boil Dice remaining potato skin and potato (es) add to soup.
- Heath though.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with bacon,cheese and green onion.
- VARIATION: For a different twist to this recipe,omit the bacon,cheddar cheese and green onion.
- Cook 2 tablespoons of shredded carrot with the onion and add 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed to the soup when adding the broth.
- Proceed as above.