Saltgrass Style Baked Potato Soup
photo by Lone Star Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups prepared chicken base
- 2 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped chives or 1/4 cup green onion
- 1⁄2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh bacon bits
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Chop raw bacon into small pieces. Place in medium size skillet and cook over medium heat until well done.
- While bacon is cooking, chop onion, celery, and carrot. You will want a very fine chop on this. If available, place in electric food chopper or processor.
- Once bacon has finished cooking, transfer bacon and grease to a large stovetop stockpot or electric crockpot. (If cooking stovetop, place pot over burner on medium-low heat. For a crockpot, cook on high.) Then add chopped onion, celery and carrot. Thoroughly combine mixture.
- Finely chop green onion and then mince garlic. Add to pot and stir.
- Measure out black pepper, seasoned salt and white pepper. Add to pot and stir.
- Allow mixture to cook & flavors to meld while peeling and dicing potatoes. Roughly 15 minutes. (I recommend a smaller dice to your potatoes for a faster cooking time.).
- Add potatoes, chicken stock and heavy cream to pot. Mix thoroughly and allow to cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until potatoes are very soft .
- Once potatoes are done cooking, use immersion blender to thoroughly purée soup. Alternatively, divide soup mixture into two batches and purée in a countertop blender. (Tip: Keep your hand firmly pressed on the blender lid to prevent it from popping open. Hot liquids have the potential to create pressure inside the blender and make the lid pop off.).
- With puréed soup in pot, add shredded cheese and whisk until melted and thoroughly mixed.
- Prepare optional garnish and serve!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was PERFECT! Took my boyfriend to Saltgrass for his first time just this past weekend while on a quick getaway, and neither of us had tried their potato soup (I typically can’t eat that many carbs, but I made an exception for the special occasion). We loved it so much I looked for a copycat recipe while we were still having dinner, and we made yours tonight. The only thing we didn’t have was white pepper (used peppercorn medley instead) plus we used both russet and yellow potatoes and tossed some fried onions on top just for giggles, but MAN was it spot on! We’re freezing the rest and will definitely make this again. Our compliments to the reverse-engineering chef!
Cooking this now as we speak. Actually going by the recipe to the T bc I never usually measure anything out I just wing it ..will post updated review! So excited........ Ok update:: oooohhh myyyy gooooodnesss. This is so delicious. My husband just killed 3 bowls w 4 pieces of bread ha. (not normal) I'm so happy this made a lot because this will be gone tomorrow!! No tweaks needed!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm the chaos coordinator for the hot mess express. Between work, kids and everyday life we make an effort to make fast, healthy meals, but sometimes convenience and comfort food win for a tired mama.