Recipe by Bergy
Here's an alternative to deep fried hush puppies, try them you may even like them. You may double this recipe it works well.
Top Review by TexasHurricane
Definitely not as good as the real thing, but definitely not bad for a baked version! I made 12 hush puppies out of this recipe instead of 6 and I rolled them in little balls before putting them in the muffin tins to make them a little more like hush puppies instead of muffins. I think next time I'll add a little more chili powder to kick it up a notch.
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lite olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425F degrees.
- Spray of small muffin tin with veggie oil.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Stir in onion.
- Mix egg, milk& olive oil, beat well.
- Add to cornmeat mixture and stir gently until just blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins fill 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.