Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here's an alternative to deep fried hush puppies, try them you may even like them. You may double this recipe it works well.
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lite olive oil
- Heat oven to 425F degrees.
- Spray of small muffin tin with veggie oil.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Stir in onion.
- Mix egg, milk& olive oil, beat well.
- Add to cornmeat mixture and stir gently until just blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins fill 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Definitely not as good as the real thing, but definitely not bad for a baked version! I made 12 hush puppies out of this recipe instead of 6 and I rolled them in little balls before putting them in the muffin tins to make them a little more like hush puppies instead of muffins. I think next time I'll add a little more chili powder to kick it up a notch.