Baked Hush Puppies
- Ready In:
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion, including green tops
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat cups in miniature (1 3/4-inch cups) muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, celery flakes, garlic powder and red pepper; stir until well blended, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine egg white, milk and vegetable oil; stir well.
- Add liquids to dry ingredients; stir until just blended.
- Stir in green onion.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake until hush puppies are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were pretty good for baked hush puppies. That being said, if you are expecting to them to taste like deep fried, they won't, but they're good. Have never made hush puppies before (fried or otherwise), but these had good flavor. Were a bit dry, but that may have been my fault as I left them in the oven too long waiting for the crab cakes to get done. Thanks for posting, Dancer. Made for Bargain Basement tag game.