Southern Hush Puppies
- Ready In:
- vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet (about 2- 2 1/2 inches of oil) until hot.
- Beat the egg and then mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Make sure that your dry ingredients are all moist.
- Using a tablespoon, drop balls of batter into the hot oil, about 2 inches long by 1 inch thick.
- NOTE: I usually only cook about 4 or 5 at a time.
- These should float in the hot oil, but not be covered by it.
- You will need to turn these as they cook.
- Fry until they are a golden brown and then drain them on paper towels.
- Serve with fish- of course!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This little cornbread treats are a true Southern delight. I made mine with chopped green onions (the recipe call for onions) for a little color in these golden balls. They fried up nicely and were a nice treat with pinto beans. Absolutely worth going to the extra effort of frying!! Thanks, MG, for a wonderful Southern, country treat.
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am one of the early members of Zaar joining in October 2001. It was instantly my favorite site even though there were only about 5000 recipes. Back then the original owners Troy and Gay ran the site and they had a lot of interaction with the members. I miss them. <br /> <br />Through the years it still remains to this day my favorite go to site and the one that I send all of my friends and family to when they need anything.</p> 8724616"