Hot and Spicy Hush Puppies
- Ready In:
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all the ingredients together into a large mixing bowl to form a thick batter.
- Dip 2 tablespoon spoons into water. Using the spoons scoop up some of the batter and drop into the hot oil. Work in batches. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and brown. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a Southerner who just loves to cook. I will try almost anything, but most experience has been in Cajun, Italian and Southern cooking.