Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this recipe in a taste of home magazine and tried it, since then all other Potato Salads have come second to this one. What makes this German Potato Salad so different is that its sweet instead of tangy,and that its baked.
- 12 medium red potatoes or 3 lbs red potatoes
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sweet pickle juice
- 2⁄3 cup water, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- In a sauce pan, cook potatoes until just tender; drain. Peel and slice into an ungreased 2-qrt. baking dish; set aside. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in brown sugar, vinegar, pickle juice, 1/2 cup water, parsley, salt, and celery seed. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into onion mixture. Bring to boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potatoes. Add bacon; gently stir to coat. Bake, uncoverd, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.