As with most chowders, this is much better served the second day. Let it sit in the fridge overnight, reheat and serve! Sometimes I will add some crushed red pepper when I saute the onion. The Maine shrimp can be substituted with other small shrimp.
- In a stockpot, cook 3 slices of the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, drain and crumble; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Add the onion and saute in bacon drippings until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Placed chopped pototoes over onions and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Add 1 tsp of Mrs Dash.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook remaining bacon; drain and crumble.
- Add corn, bacon and shrimp and cook until the shrimp are opaque.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Stir in evaporated milk.
- Stir in light cream.
- Stir in milk (depending upon how thick you like your chowders, you may add more or less milk at this point).
- Add 2 tsp Mrs Dash.
- Reheat soup to just boiling, but do not boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Refrigerate overnight and slowly reheat to serve.
Instead of the cream and milk I used FF half and half along with 1 can of FF evaporated milk. I used 2 tsp. Tony Chachere's seasoning mix in place of Mrs. Dash seasoning mix too. It added lots of flavor. This soup is so darn good it will have you going back for 2nds and 3rds. Trust me! Thank you Kim for sharing!
I think this is a wonderful soup. I have never used Mrs. Dash before, and it adds some nice flavors. You cannot go wrong with shrimp and bacon together! I used red potatoes and did not peel them. Turned out great! Thanks Kim!
Very tasty. After I cooked the potatoes, I used a potato masher to smoosh them up, to disguise them, since my daughter thinks that the only kind of potatoes she likes are french fries. I also drained the corn before I added it. I used half-n-half and evaporated milk, but didn't add any regular milk, since I thought it was soupy enough. Everybody thought the chowder was yummy.