Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I don't know where I got this recipe - It might have been Bon Appetit. EVERYTIME I serve it I get RAVE reviews.
- 1 thick slab bacon, cut into 3/8-inch dice
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 large leeks, cut into 1/2-inch slices (white and tender green)
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 946.36 ml beef broth
- 3.69 ml seasoning salt
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 396.89 g can white kidney beans or 396.89 g can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Place the bacon in a large saucepan and cover with water. Simmer over moderately high heat for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry the bacon on paper towels. Wipe out saucepan and return the bacon to pan. Fry over medium high heat until golden and crisp about 4 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towel, discard all the fat from pan and wipe out with paper towels. Reserve bacon on the side.
- Add butter to pan and reduce heat to moderate heat. Add vegetables and saute until soft. Add broth and simmer until potatoes are soft and start breaking down. Simmer for 45 minutes and serve with crumbled bacon on top.
This was good but next time I'll omit the beans. I used low-sodium beef broth and no salt. Thanks Kissing Cook :) Made for PAC Fall 2007