Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful brussel sprout recipe.
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- 6 slices bacon, strips cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Place brussels sprouts in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain and keep warm.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels and drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Saute onion and mushrooms in the drippings for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until broth is reduced by half.
- Stir in brussels sprouts and bacon.
made this with left over ham steak and as others have suggested, I cooked the mushrooms a bit longer in bacon fat. (Everything is always better in bacon fat) Thanks for the reicpe!
This is delicious as written - although I can see some red pepper flakes kicking it up a notch. I used thick applewood smoked bacon and a full sweet onion and a half pound of mushrooms. One reviewer said the mushrooms were a little moist for her liking so I gave them a few extra minutes in the bacon fat. YUM this is an excellent main dish or side dish to.... anything. Going in the box for sure!
I loved the bacon with the sprouts but the mushrooms were too moist for my taste. So next time I'll cook the mushrooms under brown and then add the chicken stock. Thanks Bonnette :) Made for Cookbook tag game