Steamed Brussels Sprouts With Lemony Brown Butter
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 1 pint Brussels sprout, halved,outer leaves removed,bottoms trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, grated for rind,then halved
- In a medium pot with tight-fitting lid, set a steamer basket over 1 1/2 inches water.
- Add Brussels sprouts and steam over high heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add salt& cook, watching carefully, until butter sizzles, browns slightly, and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon halves into the pan and add the zest.
- Stir in the Brussels sprouts and cook, shaking the pan occasionally until warmed through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I use to hate brussel sprouts because mom would cook them until they were olive green and mushy. Tried these last night and absolutely loved them! I had added the grated rind after the butter browned, but they immediately darkened and tasted bitter. I scraped them out of the butter, added the brussel sprouts, then sprinkled new grated rind over the sprouts when serving. Much better results! Linda