Brussels Sprouts in Garlic Butter
photo by SharonChen
- Ready In:
- Melt butter and olive oil in a medium skillet (over medium-high heat) until butter is foamy.
- Reduce heat to medium, add smashed garlic and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove garlic and discard.
- Add sprouts cut side down, cover, and cook without stirring on medium-low heat 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- The cut side of the sprouts should get nice and browned, with a nutty, buttery flavor enhanced by garlic.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan and salt& pepper to taste.
Normally I steam the brussel sprouts then saute in browned garlic butter and sprinkle with parmesan. So I figured this was just another avenue to the same thing. WRONG!!. These are fabulous and far superior to the way I made them before. The cooking time was perfect and the brown roasty part is an excellent touch. Even with exactly the same ingredients this technique produces a much better result. Do not forget to salt and pepper liberally. At the end of cooking I did swirl in another pat of butter. Only minor problem is that if you are cooking for a crowd you will need a couple of pans. This will be my sprout standard from now on. Now I am sure I want to adopt Tracy.
I bet you didn't think you'd get so many 5 star reviews for brussel sprouts did you? *LOL I made tihs with my meatloaf tonight, these were so good (of course I do love brussel sprouts)! I, as always, increased the garlic by two cloves and did as the others, left it in the pan. Thanks for posting this nice change to a favorite veggie!