Basic Garlic Butter Brussels Sprouts
So many people think they don't like brussels sprouts - it's sad, because they're such a wonderfully tasty vegetable! I figure they must have had them prepared badly when they were younger, because everybody I fix them for change their minds about them. My latest conquest was my husband, who thought he didn't like them, either. He has since changed his mind, of course.
- Ready In:
- 14 -40 Brussels sprouts (7-10 per person)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- If you can, get your brussels sprouts from a store that sells them loose in bins; pick out the smaller, tight sprouts.
- To cook them, clean and trim the sprouts, removing the bottom stem and tougher outside leaves (very important!).
- You've already cut the bottom of the stalk off: now cut an"X" into the bottom of each sprout (about an 1/8 of an inch deep).
- Steam the sprouts for about 20 minutes, until they are soft (everybody prefers theirs in their own way, but I cannot stand crunchy brussels sprouts).
- While the sprouts are steaming, sauté the minced garlic in a little bit of butter for about 3 minutes, then combine them into the rest of the melted butter.
- When spouts are done cooking place them in a serving dish, pour the melted garlic butter over the sprouts, season lightly with salt and pepper, and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was good and easy to make. I used a bag of SteamFresh brussel sprouts and followed the rest of the ingredients as written. Once the brussel sprouts were steamed I added them to the butter/garlic mixture and cooked them on the stove for about five minutes, stirring frequently. Nice easy side dish.