Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I have yet to try this recipe but it looked good and I wanted to keep it for later to use. I love chicken Liver Pate and bacon so this seemed perfect.
- 125 g butter
- 250 g back bacon, derinded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 kg chicken liver, chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 250 g button mushrooms, chopped
- 120 ml dry sherry
- 120 ml double cream
- 10 ml lemon juice
- Melt the butter in a large pan.
- Add the bacon, garlic and onion and cook gently for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken livers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the herbs and mushrooms.
- Add the sherry and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
- Cool, then work in an electric blender until smooth.
- Stir in the cream and lemon juice.
- Spoon into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Cover with a lid and stand in a roasting pan, containing water to a depth of 2½cm.
- Bake in a preheated cool oven 150°C, 300°F, Gas Mark 2 for 2 to 2½ hours until cooked through.
- Allow to cool.
- Cover and chill until required.
Oh my word, but this was good! It's the best liver-based pate I've ever had--the taste of liver isn't the first thing you get, but rather, it's a lovely blend of flavours, the liver being smoothed down by the other ingredients. I followed the directions exactly, just halving the recipe to make enough (ample) for two of us. I'd definitely make this for entertaining--it's rich and moreish!