Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
You'll need a candy thermometer, but it's bacon buttercrunch!!! Recipe from The Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook by Liz Gutman and Jen King.
- 12 ounces bacon, cooked very crisp crumbled, rendered fat reserved (about 1 cup cooked bacon)
- 8 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Carefully pour the bacon fat into a heatproof measuring cup, and add enough melted butter to make 1 1/2 cups. Set aside.
- Generously butter a 13-by-18-inch baking sheet and set it aside on a heatproof surface.
- Combine the bacon fat mixture with the sugar, vanilla, salt and water in a medium-size saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Insert a candy thermometer and continue to cook, stirring constantly with a whisk until it reaches 300 degrees (hard crack stage), 18 to 20 minutes.
- Wearing your oven mitts, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the crumbled bacon. Carefully pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, and use a heatproof spatula to spread it evenly. Cool the buttercrunch completely, at least 1 hour, then break it into bite-size pieces. Store the bacon buttercrunch, layered with parchment or wax paper, in an airtight container at cool room temperature for up to 1 week.