Mahogany Buttercrunch Toffee
photo by dizzydi
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place almonds on a cookie sheet and bake them for 5-10 minutes until golden.
- Watch carefully, they go from getting hot to dark brown in just a few seconds!
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor pulse the almonds until they are finely chopped.
- Sprinkle half of the nuts over a 7 inch by 10 inch area of a greased baking sheet.
- Set aside.
- In a medium, heavy saucepan combine the brown sugar, water and butter.
- Have your baking soda and vanilla extract ready.
- Over medium heat bring the sugar mixture to boil.
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning until the mixture reaches 285 degrees F. (soft-crack stage).
- Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat as the temperature will rapidly rise.
- Immediately add the baking soda and vanilla extract.
- Pour this mixture over the nuts on your baking sheet.
- Quickly scatter the chocolate over the hot toffee.
- Press lightly so it starts melting.
- After about five minutes, the chocolate will be soft enough to spread with a long metal spatula in an even layer over the toffee.
- Spread the remaining chopped almonds over the melted chocolate.
- Cool completely and break into irregular pieces using a sharp knife.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for about one month.
- Makes one pound.
- Can be doubled.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!