Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
After our kids carve their Halloween pumpkins, I use their Hallowwen pumpkins, I use the discarded pieces in this savory stew. My family eagerly looks forward to it every year.
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper, divided
- 907.18 g beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 946.36 ml water
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 4.92-9.85 ml beef bouillon granules
- 4.92-7.39 ml dried thyme
- 709.77 ml cubed peeled pumpkin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add meat, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil and butter. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the carrots, celery, water, bay leaves, bouillon, thyme and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Stir in pumpkin. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meat and pumpkin are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 9 servings.