Autumn Beef Stew
- Ready In:
- 9hrs 20mins
- 12 small red potatoes, halved
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a 5 quart slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in butter.
- Transfer beef to slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- Stir flour into the pan drippings until blended; cook and stir until browned.
- Gradually add water.
- Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add salt, parsley, celery seed, thyme and pepper; pour over beef and mix all ingredients together.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until vegetables and meat are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderfull recipe and it was very easily adapted to a 30 minute meal. I needed something quick and for some stew meat, but didn't have time for the slow cooker, so I took this great recipe, cut the meat into bite size pieces, quickly browned them in a tablespoon of olive oil. I cut the potatoes, carrots, and onion into small pieces and threw them into the pot and sauted them for a few minutes with the meat, butter and spices. I then added the flour and blended then added the water. I let it simmer for about 20 minutes. It was fantastic. I didn't change a thing about your recipe, just rearranged the cooking. I can't wait to do this in the crockpot one weekend. Thanks for the great recipe.