Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother made this cake every Thanksgiving. It is my favorite fall dessert.
Make and share this Autumn Apple Cake With Butter Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups apples, diced and peeled
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs and butter; beat well.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.
- Add the chopped apples and nuts. Mix together well.
- Pour into a well greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- For the butter sauce: Melt the 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan on low heat. Add the sugars and evaporated milk. Heat slowly, do not let boil.
- Serve with apple cake. You may dollop each individual piece with whipped cream as well.
This was a *lovely* dessert. Delicious with our afternoon coffee, and the Butter Sauce makes it elegant enough to serve to guests after dinner- especially if you add whipped cream. It went together so quickly and easily- thank you so much for sharing!!
i thought this was pretty good. a little on the sweet side, but overall a very nice dessert. Next time I will cut the sugar back by 1/2.