Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother made this cake every Thanksgiving. It is my favorite fall dessert.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups apples, diced and peeled
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs and butter; beat well.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture.
- Add the chopped apples and nuts. Mix together well.
- Pour into a well greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- For the butter sauce: Melt the 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan on low heat. Add the sugars and evaporated milk. Heat slowly, do not let boil.
- Serve with apple cake. You may dollop each individual piece with whipped cream as well.
This was a *lovely* dessert. Delicious with our afternoon coffee, and the Butter Sauce makes it elegant enough to serve to guests after dinner- especially if you add whipped cream. It went together so quickly and easily- thank you so much for sharing!!
i thought this was pretty good. a little on the sweet side, but overall a very nice dessert. Next time I will cut the sugar back by 1/2.