Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious way to serve asparagus to your guests. It can be prepared ahead, refrigerated, and baked while your guests enjoy an appetizer!
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus or 2 (15 ounce) cans asparagus, drained
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup butter flavored cracker, crushed (I use Ritz)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- Drop fresh asparagus into boiling water.
- As soon as they turn"bright" green, remove and plunge them into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Mix soup and milk together.
- Place asparagus in 9x13x2-inch casserole.
- Top with sliced eggs.
- Sprinkle with crackers; sprinkle with cheese.
- Pour soup mixture over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees until hot, just bubbling and cheese is melted.
- NOTE: For a spicier version my family really, really likes, I use Cheez-its (Hot and Spicy) crackers instead of the butter-flavored crackers mentioned above. I usually add a few more crackers than the original recipe calls for.
Very nummmy casserole BeachGirl!! I had to cut the recipe in half and there was still an abundance for two with left overs for tomorrow. With the cheese,eggs & mushroom soup it was quite rich. I sprinkled a little more cheese over the mushroom soup, will make this the next time we have company, thanks for sharing.
Very tasty and rich in flavor. I used frozen asparagus because fresh was not available. Worked well but was a little soft for my taste. Think it will also be great with broccoli. I will try that next.
I made this for Thanksgiving Day. What a hit with everyone. I made a few changes. I sauteed the asparagus in butter with garlic. Then I used the drippings to mix with the soup instead of milk. I also used cheese its in the place of the butter flavored crackers. I've already had request to make this again. Thanks!