Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe in my Betty Crocker's International cookbook and thought it sounded pretty good. It is a chicken dish with rice, filled with spices, stewed tomatoes, capers, olives, ham, garlic, peas and more. I can't wait to try it myself. It could be a one dish meal or you could serve it with a salad. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 -3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, blended
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups uncooked rice (preferably Jasmine or Basmati)
- 10 ounces frozen green peas (1 package)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fully cooked smoked ham, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup pitted small green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- grated parmesan cheese
- Sear chicken pieces and diced onion in a deep 12" skillet or dutch oven. (You may have to use two pans if it doesn't fit in one; dividing the spices, broth, tomatoes etc between the two pans.).
- Add broth, salt, oregano, coriander,blended tomatoes, onion, and garlic.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook rice according to directions on bag, except add chicken broth where it calls for water.
- While the rice is cooking add peas, green pepper, ham, olives, capers and 1 tablespoon of the caper liquid to chicken dish.
- Cover and simmer the chicken dish until the rice is done.
- Serve the chicken on top of the rice, pour the sauce over and sprinkle with parmesan.
Tasty dish, liked the different combinations of ingredients. I used a package of 6 chicken thighs. To our personal preference, we thought this dish needed more salt. Made for the Dining Daredevils for ZWT5 Family Picks.
This was so easy. I like how easy it came together and how good it was. Made by member of "Cooks With Dirty Faces" for ZWT5
Aye, good day! This is very good, somehow it tastes like chicken paella. I had to add more water though for it to be cooked coz after the first initial stage of cooking the chicken, the water wasn't enough anymore for the uncooked rice. Also next time, I'll just add the rice earlier than stated. I used black olives in here and I love it! Opted out on the parmesan for the whole dish too after tasting a bit of it with it. Just a preference and I'll still make this dish with the slight changes. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT5- Caribbean for Zaar Chow Hounds.