1/4 Photos of Asopao De Pollo - Caribbean Chicken and Rice
1 hr 25 mins
Leah's Kitchen's Note:
I found this recipe in my Betty Crocker's International cookbook and thought it sounded pretty good. It is a chicken dish with rice, filled with spices, stewed tomatoes, capers, olives, ham, garlic, peas and more. I can't wait to try it myself. It could be a one dish meal or you could serve it with a salad. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, blended
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups uncooked rice (preferably Jasmine or Basmati)
- 10 ounces frozen green peas (1 package)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fully cooked smoked ham, cubed
- 1/3 cup pitted small green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1Sear chicken pieces and diced onion in a deep 12" skillet or dutch oven. (You may have to use two pans if it doesn't fit in one; dividing the spices, broth, tomatoes etc between the two pans.).
- 2Add broth, salt, oregano, coriander,blended tomatoes, onion, and garlic.
- 3Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- 4Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5Cook rice according to directions on bag, except add chicken broth where it calls for water.
- 6While the rice is cooking add peas, green pepper, ham, olives, capers and 1 tablespoon of the caper liquid to chicken dish.
- 7Cover and simmer the chicken dish until the rice is done.
- 8Serve the chicken on top of the rice, pour the sauce over and sprinkle with parmesan.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asopao De Pollo - Caribbean Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 965.5
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 170.2 mg
- Sodium 2119.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 56.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: