Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Okay, I was looking up on Zaar the other day for a stuffed pepper recipe, and I just could not find anything that I was looking for. So I decided to create my own with all of the Asian ingredients that I had just gotten from the store that day. The turn out was great, and it was still a very healthy, weight smart dish. ENJOY!!
- 3 large yellow bell peppers or 3 large red bell peppers
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup white rice (I like basmati)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (shitaki, crimini, or portobella, something with flavor!)
- 1 lb beef, in 1/2 inch wide by 2 inch long stripes
- 2 -3 tablespoons char siu sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper
- Cut the tops off of the peppers clean out the insides, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the beef broth up to a boil, add the rice, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the broth is gone, set aside.
- In a large wok, heat a teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat then add the onion, mushrooms, and beef** to the wok and stir fry until browned, remove from the heat.
- Add the char siu, honey, salt and pepper, and the rice; stir to combined and then stuff the peppers with the mixture.
- Place the peppers in your crockpot, pour about 1 tablespoon more of the beef broth over each pepper, and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours, but no more then that!
- I believe you could also finish these in the oven!
- **You can use what ever beef you have on hand, even ground beef.
- When I made this I just used beef round and sliced it 1/2-inch by 2-inches and it worked great,.