2 hrs 15 mins
This is a Bobby Flay recipe, from his Throwdown with Bobby Flay show.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Plum-Ginger glaze
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Thai chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons good quality curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 8 ripe purple plums, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup plum juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered ginger
- 1 cup water
For the ribs
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, for rubbing
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) racks st. louis country-style pork ribs
- green onion, thinly sliced
For the Asian Rub
- 1Chef's Note: If you cannot find ripe plums you can always use canned plums. If you cannot find plum juice you can always use cranberry juice.
- 2For the Plum-Ginger glaze:.
- 3Preheat grill or side burner. Heat the oil in a large non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until soft. Add the Thai cchiles, ginger, curry powder and cinnamon and cook for 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and 1 cup of water. Cook until the sauce is reduced and thickened about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 4Place plum mixture, in 2 to 3 batches, in a food processor and process until smooth, strain into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- 5For the ribs:.
- 6Bring water, soy, ginger, peppercorns, coriander, mustard seeds and salt and pepper, to taste, in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- 7Preheat grill to medium-high heat and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 8Rub oil on both sides of the ribs. Then rub each rack with the Asian Rub. Place racks onto preheated grill and allow to cook only until grill marks have been made.
- 9Divide the water and soy sauce mixture between 2 roasting pans, place the ribs on a baking rack and set over the liquid in the pan. Roast the ribs in the preheated oven until about 3/4 of the way cooked, about 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes.
- 10Heat the grill to high.
- 11Transfer the ribs to the grill and grill until the ribs are tender, about 45 minutes longer, brushing with the glaze during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove from the grill and brush with more of the glaze. Slice into ribs and garnish with green onions.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Spice Rubbed Ribs With Plum-Ginger Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (732 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1380.5
- Calories from Fat 730
- Total Fat 81.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 235.2 mg
- Sodium 10776.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 54.5 g
- Protein 82.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground star anise