Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Betty Crocker Simple Winter Meals.
- 1 lb boneless pork sirloin, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Spray 3-quart saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add pork, garlic and gingerroot; stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes or until pork is brown.
- Stir in broth, water and soy sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Stir in noodles, carrot and bell pepper. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in spinach. Cook until heated through.
This was really good! I used some leftover pork ribs that I cooked in the crockpot yesterday. I didn't have any fresh ginger, so I just used a shake or two of ground ginger. I tasted the broth after the first step and it was awesome! The addition of the other ingredients (red pepper, carrot, noodles) kinda changed the flavor for me so it wasn't as good as at first, so next time I will probably cook the noodles separately, and stir fry the carrot and pepper separately and then just add it all back to the broth at the end so the veggies will be a little bit crunchy. I used ramen noodles cause that's what I had --but next time I either won't use ramen or else I will cook them separately and drain so the starch comes off and doesn't soak up all the broth or make it too thick. I also used frozen broccoli instead of spinach, and I thought that was perfect.
We really enjoyed this soup! Made as written except I had a little cabbage to use instead of the spinach. Loved that it uses common ingredients but satisfies that Asian food craving. It also seems very adaptable as far as protein and veggies.
Yum...... as the others I redid the veges a little, and used mushrooms, bokchoy, just veges I had to use before they went too manky in the fridge. Used rinsed rice noodles because that's what i had. Very nice, will make again. Thank you for posting.