This is the way my grandmother made it. I make it this way all the time. It's good and delicious!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- 2Brown chicken in skillet, 2-3 minutes on each side (with a little bit of oil in skillet so that it wont stick).
- 3When it's chicken is browned, remove from skillet; set aside. Cut into pieces when cool enough.
- 4In the same skillet, put shortening or Lard, let it melt. When melted, add green peppers and onion (use as little or as much as you like). Saute about 2 minutes.
- 5Add rice. Fry rice until golden brown.
- 6Add salt, pepper, cumin and minced garlic (or garlic powder, not garlic salt), be careful not to burn garlic.
- 7Add chicken, toss to coat with seasonings.
- 8Add hot water, slowly -- then add chicken bouillon and then tomato sauce. (don't have to use all of can, I usually use about 3/4 of the can).
- 9Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. DO NOT UNCOVER AT ALL UNTIL ALL OF THE WATER IS EVAPORATED. This is the secret!
- 10When the water is just about evaporated, turn heat off and keep on stove until completely evaporated.
- 11Remove from skillet into a serving dish and keep covered until ready to serve.
- 12Serve with beans and homemade tortillas!
- 13*On the seasonings, I don't normally measure, I just dash here and there to my taste. If not using garlic cloves, use garlic powder NOT garlic salt. You have to keep doing it until you get it perfect. I have been making this for about 25+ years and sometimes it comes out perfect, sometimes is still needs something! Keep practicing, you'll get it!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.2
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 109.2 mg
- Sodium 671.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 39.6 g