Arroz con Pollo (Baked Chicken and Rice)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 chicken, cut up into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and cut in eighths
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice (not minute rice)
- 10 ounces frozen green peas, cooked and drained
- pimientos or roasted red pepper (to garnish) (optional)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large oven proof skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken, brown on all sides, turning as needed for about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Add onion, green pepper, tomatoes, garlic and rice.
- Saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
- Stir in broth, bay leaf, oregano, cayenne pepper and saffron.
- Bring to a boil.
- If skillet isn't oven proof or large enough, transfer to a 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish.
- Arrange chicken on top.
- Cover with lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in 375 oven for 25 minutes or until chicken and rice are both tender.
- Add peas, and pimento or red peppers (if using) on top.
Join The Conversation
We really enjoyed this for our dinner last night. I used 4 chicken quarters (leg/thigh) and doubled the rice and chicken stock. I just seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper to our tastes and left out the cayenne pepper. Just loved how moist and tender the chicken turned out and the rice was so nicely flavored from the peppers and veggies. I served this with recipe#473755 and some Cuban bread. Made for the "Pick A Pepper" challenge for ZWT8.