Gourmet Arroz con Pollo
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons achiote seeds
- 1 -2 whole chicken, cut into parts or 5 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 jar capers
- 3 cups long grain brown rice or 3 cups long grain white rice
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro leaf, cut up (can substitute parsley)
- 6 basil leaves, cut into strips
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar green olives, pimento stuffed or 1 jar black olives
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can baby peas
- fresh asparagus
- Place 1/2 cup of olive oil in small pan and add the achiote.
- Heat on medium heat until bubbles form, then remove from heat and let steep.
- Drain achiote seeds from oil (should be a vibrant reddish-orange color).
- Place oil in large stockpot.
- Heat oil on high and place chicken pieces in pot and brown; this is done just to brown chicken NOT to cook it.
- Remove chicken from pot.
- Place diced onions, garlic, and peppers in pot with the achiote.
- Saute until soft (do not burn garlic).
- Put capers in pot and cook for a while with the onion mixture.
- Add rice to the pot with garlic, peppers, garlic and capers, then swirl rice into the mixture.
- Let the rice cook for just about a minute.
- Place cut up cilantro (or parsley) and basil in pot.
- Add in chicken broth and make sure you scrape the pot.
- Add chicken pieces back in.
- Put olives in and mix.
- Place bay leaves in pot.
- Check for seasonings (Please note: add salt and pepper at the end).
- Let the mixture cook on medium heat until the rice is done.
- Add peas just before serving.
- In another medium pot place peeled asparagus in water and boil until they turn bright green.
- Place in ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- To serve, place rice and chicken in a large platter.
- Arrange chicken pieces around platter and rice in the center.
- Place cooked asparagus around the platter and then place pimentos in the center.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I didn't have the achiote seeds, so I left them out, but otherwise made following the recipe, except I used frozen peas, as I don't use canned vegetables. The flavors came together very well and it was delicious! I will make this again, and the recipe is headed to my favorites for safe keeping until then!