A very flavorful and attractive dish. So easy if you have a large ovenproof skillet. Just transfer the whole thing from stove top to oven.
- 1 chicken, cut up into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and cut in eighths
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice (not minute rice)
- 10 ounces frozen green peas, cooked and drained
- pimientos or roasted red pepper (to garnish) (optional)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large oven proof skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken, brown on all sides, turning as needed for about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Add onion, green pepper, tomatoes, garlic and rice.
- Saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
- Stir in broth, bay leaf, oregano, cayenne pepper and saffron.
- Bring to a boil.
- If skillet isn't oven proof or large enough, transfer to a 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish.
- Arrange chicken on top.
- Cover with lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in 375 oven for 25 minutes or until chicken and rice are both tender.
- Add peas, and pimento or red peppers (if using) on top.