Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is an English recipe, from Prue Leith's column in the Daily Mail. I love the ginger cream that makes these scones really special. Perfect for afternoon tea.
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 55 g butter
- 30 g caster sugar
- 85 g dried apricots, chopped
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- 150 ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 2 pieces gingerroot, finely chopped (candied)
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup, from the above
- Oven temperature 220°C/425°F.
- Flour a baking sheet.
- Sift flour with salt into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add apricots.
- Make a deep well in the flour, pour in milk and mix to a soft, spongy dough with a knife.
- On a floured surface, knead dough lightly until it is just smooth.
- Roll or press out to 2.
- 5cm/1inch thick.
- Stamp into rounds with a pastry cutter.
- Brush scones with beaten egg for a glossy crust, sprinkle with flour for a soft one or brush with milk for a light gloss and soft crust.
- Bake scones at top of preheated oven for seven minutes or until well-risen and brown.
- Leave to cool on wire rack or serve hot from oven.
- Stir chopped ginger and ginger syrup into whipped cream.
- Cut scones in half horizontally and sandwich together with ginger cream.
Those are delicious. Thanks for posting such a great recipe. I couldn't find any candied ginger in the supermarket, so I just served them with wipped double cream, to which I added a little bit of bourbon vanilla suger. Mine needed about 12-14 minutes rather than seven as stated, but apart from that the recipe worked perfectly!
Wonderful scones!!! I love scones and try different recipes here and there... and these were awesome! The ginger whipped cream was perfect!!!! Thank you for posting such a wonderful recipe!!!
My husband said these were a 5*plus...and I agreed! They had a lovely crumb. We really enjoyed the apricots and the ginger whipped cream was a lovely addition. But then, we are both nuts about ginger and apricots anyways. This is the first time I have tried them together and I was well pleased with the results. Thanks for a delicious recipe that I would highly recommend!