Cranberry Ginger Scones
From Kitchen Daily by Chez Us Denise Woodward and Lenny Ferreira. Use your food processor, or make the old fashioned way -- by hand, like making biscuits!
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup candied ginger (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- NOTE: If you don't own a food processor, make these scones as you would make biscuits!
- In a food processor combine all of the dry ingredients, give a whirl to mix. With the food processor running, add pieces of butter, a couple at a time, and pulse until pea sized. Continue adding the butter until you use all of it.
- Add the heavy cream. Pulse until the dough comes together.
- Add the ginger and cranberries, and give a quick pulse.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, and knead on a lightly floured counter top. Pat into a circle, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8-10 triangles.
- Place onto a baking sheet, with space between each one.
- Make an egg wash with the egg and a tablespoon of water. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash, and sprinkle a little sugar on each top.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until the scones are golden brown on the tops. Remove from the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wow, were these scones ever delicious. Crispy, crunchy, flaky and tender, just the way I prefer them. I didn't have any fresh cranberries they were frozen, so I used dried cranberries instead, they were wonderful in the scones. I will be making these again on Boxing Day for Christmas brunch with the neighbors and will use the fresh cranberries then. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe, it was quick and really easy to make these scones. I halved the recipe and had 4 big beautiful scones.1Reply
Gosh, I love recipes that you make in the food processor! As we are in for another scorcher today I made these at 6 am this morning using the nu-wave oven as to not heat up the kitchen too much. I'm crazy about the cranberry and ginger combo, really a great match. It would be wonderful at Christmas! Sugar was replaced with Splenda, fat free liquid coffee creamer replaced the heavy cream and I brushed the top with just egg white instead of whole egg. End result? Yum!2Reply