1/3 Photos of Apple Pie Filling - Canned or You Can Freeze It!
Sarah in New York's Note:
This is such a handy recipe to have during apple season! This filling is AMAZING! Just can a bunch of apple pie filling and those apple pies for Thanksgiving and Chrstmas will take you no time at all. Just make a crust and bake! It also works great for cobbler, or just heated up with some vanilla ice cream. Just a note: If you are baking an apple pie with this canned pie filling, bake it at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 40 minutes. The apples are already cooked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Steralize 6 quart jars if canning by washing them with soap and water and putting them in the oven at 215 degrees for a minimun of 15 minutes. They can stay in the oven until you are ready to take them out.
- 2Peel, core and slice apples. (Leave slices about 1/2 inch thick).
- 3Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch and salt in large pot.
- 4Add water and cook on high heat, stirring frequently at first and then constantly until it boils. Let it boil for about a minute, at this point it should be nice and thick.
- 5Stir in lemon juice and food coloring.
- 6Pack apples in hot jars and fill jars with sauce just to the bottom rung of the mouth of the jar. I use a wooden spoon to push the apples down. DO NOT FILL THEM ANY HIGHER! THEY WILL EXPLODE!
- 7Yes, it happened to me! :(.
- 8Process jars in hot water bath for 20 minutes or freeze however you want to.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pie Filling - Canned or You Can Freeze It!
Serving Size: 1 (1214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 996.8
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 409.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 258.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 216.2 g
- Protein 1.7 g