Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of my family's favorite apple muffin recipe, the topping on these muffins is delicious!! This recipe makes about 30-32 mini muffins also.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (slightly heaping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter (no subs!)
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream or 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 16 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender.
- Measure out 1/4 cup to add to topping ingredients; set aside.
- Add in the chopped apples and nuts to the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and half and half cream, then add to the flour mixture; stir JUST until combined, mixture will be lumpy.
- Spoon into muffin tins about 2/3 full.
- To the reserved 1/4 cup butter mixture add in 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons brown sugar; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over each muffin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Thanks so much for the recipe... Im just a "rookie" with baking stuff... I just baked this tonight and I love it soooo much and so are my boys...I served it with vanilla ice cream on the side ...I am still looking for more great dessert recipe . DO you have more? Great and easy ones like this? Thanks again...
These are amazing muffins. I like that they don't have a ton of fat in them, and that they rely on the apple for flavour instead of alot of sugar. They are really light and not heavy, not the 'lard muffins' that seem to be popular. Can't wait for hubby to get home so I can have another one.
These are delicious! I like that they aren't loaded up with calories. They were also the easiest apple muffins that I've made. I was able to make 12 regular sized muffins and 12 mini-muffins.