Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
This is a combination of at least 3 recipes. I was feeling motivate to make an apple pie, then a crostata and got lazy. I didn't feel like making a pastry crust. So I searched and searched and found that puff pastry was an option, so here ya go! Enjoy! Prep times includes thaw time for the puff pastry sheet.
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water for egg wash
- 4 granny smith apples, medium, peeled, cored, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- sea salt, pinch
- allspice, small pinch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold and diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar, Sugar in the raw, for sprinkling on crust (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon calvados, substitute water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Thaw 1 sheet of puff pastry, about 30-40 minutes. Once thawed, unfold. If it cracks, press the seams together with wet fingers.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. *a four sided baking sheet works best in case of drips.
- Halve apples, core>with melon-baller, peel apples. Slice into thin half moons. Place into a bowl. NOTE: *It is important to slice them thin or the pastry sheet will be done before the apple bake tender.
- Combine sugar and spices. Pour over the apples and toss to coat.
- You will make 3 rows of apples, leaving almost an inch of pastry exposed, all the way around.
- Overlap the apple slices one on top the other covering the apple by 2/3 because the apples will shrink while baking. Dot apple slices with butter.
- Make egg wash (mix egg and water together) and brush over the exposed pastry crust.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Rotate once during baking. If the crust is puffed up and golden brown and apples tender, it's done.
- Meanwhile -- In a glass bowl add the calvados to the apricot preserve. Warm in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and stir. Warm a bit longer if necessary to thin.
- While the galette still hot, brush with apricot & calvados mixture.
- Serve warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.