Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I will post an intro after I make it!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granny smith apples, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in 4 tbsp butter til mixture resembles to coarse crumbs.
- Place 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan and cook apples until tender and liquid is reduced.
- Stir often and let cool, then mix the whipping cream in.
- Add apple mixture into flour mixture and stir until dough clings together.
- On a lightly floured board, knead 6 times.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, pat dough down into an 8 inch circle.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until done.
- Let cool for a little bit then separate.
- Top with coarse sugar.
- Cut into 12 wedges, slightly separating.
- Serve warm.
Looking for ways to use up an overabundance of apples and this was really enjoyed by my family! I added in some walnut pieces for greater taste and it did the trick!
I really liked these for something different for breakfast. I added in some finely chopped walnuts with the apples. I brought some to work to share with my co-workers and everyone gave them thumbs up!
These were ok. I was pressed for time so didn't saute the apples, I did shred them on my cheese grater. We also brushed them with whipping cream and put sanding sugar on top. I used 1 cup of spelt flour and 1 1/2 cups all purpose. True scones have eggs in them. These were just glorified biscuits. Sorry, we eat scones a lot and these were just ok.