Recipe by Michael Chiarello
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs, plus 1
- egg yolk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Make the batter: Sift the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt into a bowl.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolk, and milk until well blended.
- 4Add about 1/3 of the egg mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth, then gradually incorporate the remaining egg mixture.
- 5Whisk until well blended.
- 6Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the apples.
- 7Cook the apples: With the tip of a knife, scrape the vanilla bean seeds from the pod into an ovenproof 10-inch cast iron or stainless steel skillet.
- 8Add the pod and the butter and cook over moderately high heat until the butter turns nut brown.
- 9Add a pinch of salt.
- 10Add the apples and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- 11Remove the vanilla bean pod and discard.
- 12Sprinkle the apples with the sugar, reduce the heat to moderately low, and cook until the apples are almost cooked through and the sugar has melted and is coating the apples in a light syrup.
- 13Add the grappa or other brandy off the fire while pouring, place back on the fire, wait for flame to die down, the swirl the pan briefly.
- 14Spread the fruit evenly in the skillet.
- 15Working quickly, pour batter evenly over the fruit.
- 16Bake until the edges of the clafouti are puffed and browned and the center is set, about 15 minutes.
- 17Put some confectioners' sugar in a sieve and generously dust the surface of the clafouti.
- 18Serve warm directly from the pan with a dollop of creme fraiche.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Clafouti
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.5
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 138.0 mg
- Sodium 109.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: