Recipe by keen5
These are wonderful for brunch or add a scoop of ice cream and they make a great dessert. This recipe came from Taste Of Home magazine.
Top Review by Snicklefritzie
I have made these scones many times, and they have always turned out perfect for me. I use a Granny-Smith apple and I shred my own cheddar cheese (when they pack the shredded, they put something with it to keep it from clumping). You have to have a very light hand with scone dough, don't knead it much. My picky DS loves these!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup diced peeled apple
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Gently fold in the cheese and apples.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into a 9-inch circle.
- Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.