Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are wonderful for brunch or add a scoop of ice cream and they make a great dessert. This recipe came from Taste Of Home magazine.
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Gently fold in the cheese and apples.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into a 9-inch circle.
- Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
I have made these scones many times, and they have always turned out perfect for me. I use a Granny-Smith apple and I shred my own cheddar cheese (when they pack the shredded, they put something with it to keep it from clumping). You have to have a very light hand with scone dough, don't knead it much. My picky DS loves these!
Great recipe. Thnak you
Maybe with some major modifications I could make this again. But the dough tasted bland, it didn't cook in the middle and the edges were almost burnt. The apple/cheddar flavor which is usually good was not a good match with the dough. Probably fixable but needs a lot of work.