Johnny Jalapeno's Cast-Iron Apple Pancake
photo by 2Bleu
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 425°F Place oven rack on the middle rack of your oven. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, milk, eggs, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat until batter is smooth and set aside.
- In a 8" or larger cast-iron frying pan over medium heat, melt butter, tilting pan to cover sides. Add apples and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture. Stir and let cook for 5-7 minutes to slightly cook the apple slices. Add raisins if using and remove from heat.
- Pour the batter over apples into baking pan. Place pan in oven and bake 20 minutes or until puffed above sides of the pan and lightly browned (it may puff irregularly, but this is normal). Remove from oven.
- Remove pancake from the baking pan by flipping upside down onto a serving platter so that the apples are on top. To serve, cut into serving-size wedges and transfer to individual serving plates. Note: Once out of the oven, the pancake will begin to deflate, but that is okay.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this for our breakfast this morning, but once it was baking, it was smelling like apple pie, so I served it with vanilla ice cream!!! Made for a very yummy breakfast!!! I checked mine after 16 minutes of baking and the puffed high edges were burning already, so next time, would cut back on baking time or decrease oven to 400 degrees. Thanks for sharing the recipe!! Made for PRMR.
This is such a fun recipe! I made this on the outside gas grill. I covered my cast iron skillet with heavy duty foil and tented it to allow for the pancake to rise. On medium it took just about 25 minutes to "bake." We really enjoyed this, and it is nice to know we have another dessert recipe for camping trips! Thanks 2Bleu can't wait to try the other Johnny Jalapeno's recipes you have posted!!! Made for PRMR Tag