From October 2006 Nick Jr. Family magazine. Yummy, moist snack cake with all kinds of wonderful nutritious ingredients. I found this sweet enough on its own, but you could sprinkle some powdered sugar on top to make it look pretty. Great for lunch boxes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed or 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large golden delicious apples, coarsely grated (about 2 cups, packed, I used 3 medium apples and peeled them first)
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1Whisk together flours, sugar, flaxseed, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- 2Whisk together eggs, applesauce, and oil in another bowl. Stir in apples until well-blended.
- 3Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Stir in butterscotch chips.
- 4Pour batter into a 13x9 pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Smooth with a rubber spatula.
- 5Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven about 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (Watch carefully, mine was done at 26 minutes).
- 6Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Butterscotch Cake
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.3
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 162.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g