Recipe by LonghornMama
From October 2006 Nick Jr. Family magazine. Yummy, moist snack cake with all kinds of wonderful nutritious ingredients. I found this sweet enough on its own, but you could sprinkle some powdered sugar on top to make it look pretty. Great for lunch boxes!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seed or 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 large golden delicious apples, coarsely grated (about 2 cups, packed, I used 3 medium apples and peeled them first)
- 1⁄3 cup butterscotch chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together flours, sugar, flaxseed, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, applesauce, and oil in another bowl. Stir in apples until well-blended.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Stir in butterscotch chips.
- Pour batter into a 13x9 pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven about 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (Watch carefully, mine was done at 26 minutes).
- Cool on a wire rack before cutting.